 Off-Topic / Geek / 4906
Re: Googolplex (was: Is lego *truly* unlimited?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:52:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Eaton wrote:
2x4 bricks, only 90 degree angles:
1 => 1 combo (200 assuming 200 different colors)
2 => 24 combos (48 counting 2 diff. colors, 40000 assuming all colors)
3 => 1060 combos (approx 1392204000 assuming all colors)
4 => ?
5 => ?
6 => 102981500 combos (roughly 6x10^21 assuming all colors)

Given that progression, that's CRAZY. Still probably peanuts to a gogol plex,
but but crazy nonetheless.

I found the following amusing description of how to visualise a googolplex:

"...if one put this black hole into a hypothetical rigid nonpermeable box, a few
million light years in size, and looked at the contents once a year, it would
look like our present Local Group for the first time again after roughly a
Googolplex of years. In other words, a Googolplex is a quantitative measure of
an extension (to a much larger system) of the temporal periods expressed by such
colloquial phrases as "until the cows come home," which would give recurrence
times that would presumably be long in human terms but much shorter than a
Googolplex if these smaller systems (e.g., of cows and their home) would
actually last long enough."

From http://www.fpx.de/fp/Fun/Googolplex/GetAGoogol.html

ROSCO