 General / 49761
Re: Is lego *truly* unlimited? (some thoughts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:19:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Samarth Moray wrote:
I was just wondering today about how much lego is trumpeted as having an
'unlimited' number of possibilites. • ...
Each lego brick has a limited number of uses. A *very* small example of this
would be two 1 x 1 bricks, can only be connected together in one way, or
two if they're of a different colour. (a red on top of a blue, or blue on a
red) ...

Two 1x1 bricks can be connected together in an infinite number of ways. The top
brick can be rotated freely to any angle and still connect, and the angles are
countless.

Given a 10 piece collection of different parts, the number of ways to choose the
parts to build a MOC is 2^10 - 1, or 1023. Given a 1,000 different parts, there
are 8.299031137761986e+180 different part lists, which is more than the number
of atoms in the universe.

Thus, the number of ways to put them together is for all practical matters
infinite.

Cary