 General / 49758
49757  |  49759
Subject:
Is lego *truly* unlimited? (some thoughts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:37:15 GMT

I was just wondering today about how much lego is trumpeted as having an
'unlimited' number of possibilites. Now I'm no math whiz, but it seemed
logically impossible to me. So here's some food for thought for the gurus out
there to digest and make sense of:

Each lego brick has a limited number of uses. A *very* small example of this
would be two 1 x 1 bricks, can only be connected together in one way, or two if
theyre of a different colour. (a red on top of a blue, or blue on a red)
Obviously, the possibilites for each individual brick increase, a 1 x 2 - 1 x 4
bracket has A LOT more possibilites than a 1 x 1. The point I'm getting at here
is that it should be possible to hence calculate the exact number of
possibilites that YOUR collection is capable of achieving. For example, if you
had a hundered various pieces, the things you could do with them would be the
sum of all possibilites each one has in relation to the others. (this is
counting the various SNOT, AZMEP, and whatever else included). Now this is still
a very small number, I'd expect the average 5-digit collection to generate a
10000000000(?) digit possibility, or even more.

Some thoughts/comments from the Mathematicians out there?

Samarth