 Off-Topic / Geek / 4905
Re: Is lego *truly* unlimited? (some thoughts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:34:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
[1] Ok, at a very rough guess, 500 billion choose 250 billion is at least
1x10^(4x10^11) or 1x10^400000000000, which... is a lot. Guessed based on how
quickly the "middle number" in Pascal's triangle increases. Every other row's
middle number seems to grow logarithmically, at hits at LEAST 4 long before
it gets even halfway to the billionth row. Hence, I used a factor of 4 to
guess at the number of 0's that the center number goes up by after 500
billion rows (250 iterations, since it's counting every other row). In
actuality, there's probably a better factor to use to guess with.

Ok, so it's asymptotic, not logarithmic, and it approaches 4, so 4 was a
perfectly cromulent guess. However. Since the sum of any line N of Pascal's
triangle is apparently 2^N (starting at row 0), and you'd theoretically count
EVERYTHING within a row, not including the empty set, there are roughly
2^200000000000-1 (about 1x10^60205999133) different groups of pieces possible
with all the Lego on the planet, not including piece orientation.

Dunno about the orientation thing.

2x4 bricks, only 90 degree angles:
1 => 1 combo (200 assuming 200 different colors)
2 => 24 combos (48 counting 2 diff. colors, 40000 assuming all colors)
3 => 1060 combos (approx 1392204000 assuming all colors)
4 => ?
5 => ?
6 => 102981500 combos (roughly 6x10^21 assuming all colors)

Given that progression, that's CRAZY. Still probably peanuts to a gogol plex,
but but crazy nonetheless.

DaveE