 Off-Topic / Geek / 4365
Re: Rechargeable Batteries - with correct link :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:47:45 GMT

Subject: Re: Rechargeable Batteries
From: "Lars Gjerløw Jørgensen" <lgjPURGE@jyde.dk>
Newsgroups: lugnet.off-topic.geek

TJ Avery's utterance expressed in news:HGFAzq.1xBp@lugnet.com:

I'm trying to estimate the amount of power needed for a project, one
that will be powered by rechargeables.

What project?

Rechargeable batteries typically have two ratings: Volts and
Current-Time. For example, a AA will be 1.2V and 1000 mA-h.

They are available in 2000 mAh too.

Let's say I'll need to power motors that will require 9V and will draw
3 to 4 amps of current. I'll need 8 batteries to get the 9V, but what
about the current requirements? What exactly does the "mA-h" rating
mean?

Many 9 volt motors can easily run on the 7.2 volts from 6 x 1.2V. I
akways use rechargeables for my rcx's - although the torque is a
little smaller. If you use 8 you will probably have the juice you need
:)  The mAh rating is a way to tell the energy in the batteries.

e.g. 1.2 V 2000 mAh Ni-MH battery.

1.2 V x 2A x 1h = 2.4Watts in one hour = 8640 Joules of energy. But that is
only theoretically speaking. If it was absolute, the battery manufacturers
could just show the energy capacity for a battery. They don't - and they
can't. Because batteries work chemically and not as simple as the above
calculation  :(

I've found some nice NiMH C-cells that have a 5000 mA-h rating. Does
that mean that they'll provide 5 amps for about 1 hour?

technically yes... but probably only statistically - when used in one
special way. The energy provided by batteries often depend a lot of the
current drawn from the battery. The trouble about rechargeables is that
they provide the energy somewhat diffferent than alkalines. Alkalines
provide high voltage for a period and then drops suddenly and stops
working. Most rechargeables as well as (brownstone) regular batteries drops
voltage over a longer period.

See http://www.duracell.com/oem/Comparisons/
- and http://www.howstuffworks.com -  search battery.

Best regards - leg godt!

--
| lars gjerløw jørgensen | lgj[at]jyde[dot]dk  |
| N55 43.184  E12 32.405 | www.lgj.dk | oz2lgj |