 Off-Topic / Geek / 4360
4359  |  4361
Subject:
Rechargeable Batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:02:14 GMT

I'm trying to estimate the amount of power needed for a project, one that will
be powered by rechargeables.

Rechargeable batteries typically have two ratings: Volts and Current-Time. For
example, a AA will be 1.2V and 1000 mA-h.

Let's say I'll need to power motors that will require 9V and will draw 3 to 4
amps of current. I'll need 8 batteries to get the 9V, but what about the current
requirements? What exactly does the "mA-h" rating mean?

I've found some nice NiMH C-cells that have a 5000 mA-h rating. Does that mean
that they'll provide 5 amps for about 1 hour?

thanks,
TJ Avery
www.texbrick.com