 Off-Topic / Geek / 3092
Re: Some Lego buying stats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:24:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Selçuk Göre writes:
Maggie Cambron wrote:
In lugnet.general, Selçuk Göre writes:

And what kind of jobs earn 10000-20000 USD, 40000-50000 USD and
around 100000 USD per year?

A starting teacher [in Northern California] makes in the $30,000-40,000
range depending on  education.  A midrange teacher makes about 50,000 while
an upper range  teacher (many years, graduate degree(s)) makes in the low
60,000's.

Engineers in Northern California make substantially more than school
teachers.

Wow!.. A really big wow!.. When considering our income levels (me and my
wife can only make around 15000 USD/year, both being engineers) it looks
amazing. What I'm wondering is what kind of a living you could buy with
40-50000 USD/year. For example, in most of the hollywood originated
movies, families live in some nice houses with garages and a garden,
having at least two cars, going to decent holidays wherever they want,
etc,. etc.

Hi again, Selcuk (sorry I don't know how to type the proper "c"!),

All of the answers to your question so far have been pretty representative of
the middle class (and we are probably more highly educated on Lugnet than
average), but I don't believe anyone has addressed the first part of your
question-- what kind of jobs make 10,000-20,000 USD per year.  The answer is
the fast food (and possibly restaurant-- I don't know with tips) and, to a
lesser extent, retail industries.  Because it is impossible to support a family
here on those kind of wages ($6-8/hour someone CMIIAW), these jobs normally go
to high school or college kids working part-time and, sadly, to senior citizens
who are having trouble making it on their retirement.  Also where I live there
are many workers from Mexico, both documented and undocumented, who work in
California and send money home to their families in Mexico (where I live they
tend to be ranch-hands who get free living quarters in a trailer on the
property).

What you tend to see in the movies is not always representative.  For the
middle class, especially out West in newer developments, the houses do tend to
look like those in the movie E.T.  (Only example I can think of-- my kids were
just watching that movie.) The kitchens on tv shows are usually much
better than those in real life-- most of us don't have Sub-Zero refrigerators
or Wolf stoves (although my neighbor does-- she also has ranch-hands living and
working on her premises though-- her husband just retired from being a pilot
for Delta Airlines and they have a working ranch).  Everyone generally does
have a car because even the poorest people need one to get around.

But in some schools in Sacramento 90 percent of the students are eligible for
free school lunches based on their family's income.  Every summer charitable
organizations set up a summer lunch program because the fear is that this free
lunch is the best (or only) meal some students get all day.  At Christmas our
local newspaper always highlights several individuals/families who have wish
lists that a few hundred dollars could fulfill-- things like a new wheelchair
for a disabled person or warm coats for the children.  So not everyone can
afford to indulge a LEGO habit.

If you and your wife were working here, you would be quite well-paid.  Most of
us here on Lugnet get by fairly comfortably.  But some people in the U.S. are
not so fortunate, and sometimes they are treated less than kindly.  I hope
in Turkey that either you do not have this problem, or if you do, people are
more compassionate toward those less fortunate.

Maggie

Fut, if any, to OT.debate because we certainly are not talking about
techno-geeks here.