 General / 30835
Re: Some Lego buying stats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:35:22 GMT

Hi guys,

Just like to know what is the conditions of living in US. For example,
what amount an engineer (a common one, say a mechanical engineer working
in a production facility, say automotive industry, with an experience of
3-4 years), a worker/technician (with the similar properties) earn per
year. And what kind of jobs earn 10000-20000 USD, 40000-50000 USD and
around 100000 USD per year.

Selçuk

Tom Stangl wrote:

Frank Filz wrote:

In lugnet.general, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
I was curious just a bit ago about how much I spend on Lego per year, and
how quickly I acquired Lego-- So using semi-rough guesses on my collection
based on year, I found:

Childhood: 1,425 pieces per year =~ $150 per year
Dark Ages: 0 pieces per year = $0 per year!
College: 5,363 pieces per year =~ $600 per year
Out of College: 32,647 pieces per year =~ $4,000 per year

Anyway, I'm really just rambling with very little hard data whatsoever-- I
could be *WAY* off, I dunno... Does anyone out there have some more
realistic numbers to toy with?

DaveE

I don't have a piece breakdown (yet), but I do have a dollar breakdown...
1983 - $85
1984 - $275
1985 - $200
1986 - $175
1987 - $200
1988 - $200
1989 - $125
1990 - $35
1991 - $125
1992 - $150
1993 - $425
1994 - $150
1995 - $150
1996 - $350
1997 - $150
1998 - $250
1999 - $575
2000 - $725
2001 - $125 to date

Total - $4,470

Not a staggering amount, but not insignificant either. It's interesting to
see the drop in 1990 (more of a grey age, not really a dark age) and the
slump around '94-'95 (Juniorization). Interesting data for TLC to look at...

I need to do a breakdown at some point, but it scares me. I've got somewhere in
the 300-500k pieces rance, acquired over 2.5 years so far...

Ditto on the scary part - I know I have well over 500K pieces (99% bought in the
last 3 years), which is why I am Ebaying off a ton of sets/parts over the next few
months, and Brickbaying off a few 10K of new bricks - to make ROOM so that I can
sort the rest and sell off a ton more.

My goal is to cut my collection in HALF by the end of the year, so I can fit it all
in one big room (exc for the display models out front), and actually KNOW what I
have, so I only buy what I need in order to build my train layout (which is the
other reason I need ROOM).

I refuse to even try to total up what I've spent in the last 3 years, it's got to
be over $40K, and that's just not healthy (OK, I've made back probably 1/3 of that
or more selling off parts/sets, but still).