 Off-Topic / Geek / 1881
Re: Windows 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:20:03 GMT

Rui Martins <Rui.Martins@link.pt> writes:

  Linux Only requires about 128 Megs for system and programs
(depending on which ones you will install) plus some extra 128 Megs
(Maximum) of swap partition, but since you have 256 Megs of Ram,
you can easilly cut the swap size.

I'm aware that this is not a Linux newsgroup, but I just have to
comment this, as I find it somewhat misleading.  I'm setting
followup-to lugnet.off-topic.geek, which is a more suitable newsgroup.

I'm sure you could install Linux on a 128MB partition, but that would
be a minimal installation.  I can hardly imagine that you can have any
fun at all with that space.

For example, if you want to build the latest version of Gimp, you need
some hundreds of MB in the compilation process.  You can probably cut
this down if you are Linux-savvy, but this would be hard for a newbie.
Building the editor Emacs usually requires around 70MB, and ditto
(almost) goes for the Windows emulator WINE.

I installed my first Linux system four years ago on 600MB, which I
found to be somewhat tight.  I would definitively recommend having a
larger partition today, as most programs require more disk space.

Your comments also seem to say that 128MB is the maximum amount of
swap space.  This is not true.  One swap partition can not be larger
than 128MB, but you can have a total of 16 of them.

As a general rule, it is recommended to have around twice as much swap
space as physical RAM.  True, 256MB of physical RAM is still much
today, but I would still recommend having at least 256MB of swap
space.  Personally, I have 256MB of physical RAM and only 128MB of
swap space, which has proven to be too small several times, especially
when working with large images.

This said, happy Linuxing to anyone who wants to try to install
Linux.  And I'm sure there are many persons who have valuable
experience to share about Linux in lugnet.off-topic.geek.

Fredrik