 CAD / 4175
Re: Windows 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:23:16 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Tim Courtney wrote:
[...SNIP..]

Ok.  I'm running a PII 400 with 256mb ram, 12gb HD.  I want 2000 cause of
networking stuff and forced login when I get to college as well.  NT doesn't
support USB, which I need, and it also doesn't support a couple of other
things (I forget which though, but did talk about it recently).

And Linux is far better of course ! ;)

If I wasn't so entrenched in Windows, or if I had a bigger HD to partition
out, I would try Linux.  But...right now I don't have the time to mess with a
new OS.

A Bigger Hard Drive ?

You have 12 Gig !

Linux Only requires about 128 Megs for system and programs (depending on which
ones you will install) plus some extra 128 Megs (Maximum) of swap partition, but
since you have 256 Megs of Ram, you can easilly cut the swap size.

In this worst case, you only require 256 Megs of hard disk space, that's about
1/48 of your current disk size, I'm sure you could blend it in.

Do you Known that Win2000 takes Aproximatly 1 Gig just for the OS stuff, I bet
Microshaft Includes a lot of crap, just to make it look BIG. No wonder the OS is
full of Bugs, just Imagine to keep a quality control over a few million lines of
OS code,  8-[

See ya
Rui Martins