 Off-Topic / Geek / 1729
Re: Problem with CD-ROM drive on Windows NT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 21:48:53 GMT

I've tried accessing various configuration menus and restarted the
system many times.  But the CD-ROM was still unavailable.

What finally appeared to do the work, though, was simply opening the CD
drive and poking on the read head slightly, shifting it a bit.
I restarted the system afterwards, had to wait a bit as the Explorer
started up, and then, the CD-ROM was accessible again!  Wow.

This workstation is less than five months old, so it can't be too good
quality.  I wouldn't buy Compaq for myself, that's for sure!

Weird. I have not used in Compac's in many moons, we are using Dell's here.
Gateway is pretty good as well. I have had problems with Hewett Packard
computers, and Packard Bells, but that is just me. Some had good experiences
with certain brands, some had bad ones. I sometimes think it is the users
more than the computer. Who knows? : )

I am glad you got it to work, however.

Scott S.