 Off-Topic / Geek / 1719
Re: Problem with CD-ROM drive on Windows NT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:35:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Yes, the original offending CD-R was unsuccessfully written with Adaptec
CD-Direct.  That has to be the worst CD-writing software ever.

Hmm... I have not had too many problems with it. I usually just burn music
CD's, so I don't use the original. It is good for that.

Adaptec Direct CD doesn't burn audio cds - it's a packet-writing package that
allows you to dump data a little at a time on a cd till you're done with it.

And its garbage, for the most part.  You're thinking of Adaptec Easy CD
Creator, mostly likely, which usualy comes bundled with Direct CD.

Alright, is the CD-ROM showing up in your system under control panel? If it
is, does it have that yellow exclamation mark on it? I have some problems

He has Windows NT 4.0.  You're thinking of either Win9x or Windows 2000 -
there is nothing in the system control panel in NT 4 that resembles Device
Mananger you're thinking of in 9x/2000.

with my Castlewood Orb drive, and I have to re-install it every now and
then. Is the CD-ROM from the factory, or did you install it?

I would say that this direct CD package had to install a UDF driver for the
CDROM and that some how that got corrupted or corrupted the original driver.
Reapplying the latest service pack might take care of it, then again it might
not.  I've never had this happen before, not like this.