 Off-Topic / Geek / 1066
Re: Linux Certifications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:05:46 GMT

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 21:27:57 GMT, Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com>
wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 21:25:49 GMT, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper
Janssen) wrote:

A general lack of clue to go along with MCSEs unfortunately is not
rare. "Uhm.. Router? Yes, you can run Windows NT for that."

Heh.  Yeah, for small networks, you really can.  In fact, for
usability's sake, I'd much rather turn one of my spare PC's into a
"router" than buy even a used Cisco router.  Not sure I'd do it with

Well, yes. But NT? My NAT box[1] would quite happily function with a
few extra network cards in it as a router, I'm sure.

I'm hoping I can trade my 770 series in for one of the newer 804's at
work.  At least with the 804 I'd get to deal with the real IOS.

Just get a _real_ router. If it doesn't fill up two 19" racks to six
feet... ;)

Jasper

[1] 386DX40/12M/100M. And it's of a brand of computer that's proven
itself to be particularly unreliable, both the model and this
particular instance. Still, it stays up till I reboot it or the power
fails, whichever comes first, so no worries there.

I suspect a router between 3 or 4 heavily used 10 Mbit segments would
like to be a 486DX50 at least, preferably with EISA bus mastering
network cards.
I can get an appropriate computer (Intel Deskside Server Xpress MX --
this is one with 8 EISA slots, video and IO already integrated, 8 3.5"
drive bays connected by backplane to the integrated busmastering dual
SCSI2, huge case, 385W PSU -- IOW, a heavy server-class, surplus) for
around $100 including a few busmastering ISA Etherlink IIIs.

I suspect I could get busmastering 100 Mb cards for not much more.

Jasper