 Off-Topic / Geek / 1058
Re: Linux Certifications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 21:25:49 GMT

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:55:48 GMT, "Steven Vore" <svore@mindspring.com>
wrote:

I wonder if that's because of the relative "newness" of the various certs or
because they're not being publicised by a large monolithic company or
because not enough managers/HR departments know what Linux is or if Unix
people in general rely on proven experience more than classes & exams or...

If you're being hired by HR, they're useless. If a BOFH is sitting in,
he may give you a bit of benefit of the doubt. If the panel is
composed of BOFHs only, they'll want you to show competency rather
than the ability to get certified.

...I _have_ heard of people
not getting jobs at least partly based on the fact that they were
MCSEs.

They were turned down because they did have a certification?  Must have been
a real pro-Linux manager ;-)

The BOFH was sitting in, and knew that he had MCSEs coming out of his
ears, but nobody to support the other 90% of the computer park, which
were sunny sans chers. At least, that's the story I heard.

A general lack of clue to go along with MCSEs unfortunately is not
rare. "Uhm.. Router? Yes, you can run Windows NT for that."

Jasper