 Off-Topic / Geek / 1032
Re: Why are my fonts broken?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:11:45 GMT

The RH shot looks correct.  That's what I'm used to.

KL

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman writes:
Anyone know how to make Netscape Navigator display the font sizes correctly
under Red Hat Linux 6.1 + Gnome?  What looks great under Windoze 95 comes out
looking like scrap under my installation of RHL...  :-(  Here are a couple
screenshots:

  http://www.fibblesnork.com/temp/fontglarp/

On the left is how I want it to look, on the right is how it looks now.  Both
are default installations.

I suspect that first, I need to find an XFree86-compatible font server which
renders TrueType fonts[1], so that fonts become readable. (The garbage Adobe
and URW fonts installed by default are hinted so poorly that they're a wicked
eyesore -- Times on a web page looks even worse under my installation of RHL
than it does under a default OS9 installation on a Mac!)

I also wonder if maybe there's some system-wide font scaling problem --
something I don't have set up correctly.  Because the funny thing is, if I
go into the Fonts section of Navigator's Preferences and set the font sizes
larger, it only seems to have an effect on the default variable-width and
fixed-width fonts (i.e. Times and Courier), but things like Verdana inside
the <FONT> tag still stay wicked small!  :-(

Any hints/tips/pointers greatly appreciated.

--Todd