 Off-Topic / Geek / 1026
Re: Why are my fonts broken?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:21:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
I've always solved the problem by setting up TrueType.

Do you have any URLs/pointers/tips/Howto's on this?  I didn't see anything in
the RHL docs or online.  Maybe I'm not looking for the right thing.  Any magic
keywords? :)   I did find a Mini-Howto on TrueType with XFree86[1] but
it seems to be a bit out-of-date with respect to filenames, etc.

One thing I did figure out which made me happy was that ttmkfdir is already
installed and that the X servers shipped with RHL6.1 already supposedly have
xfsft (or xfstt?) linked in as a font server.  I just need to figure out how
to activate it!  :)

My Win95 box has been shut down for 24 hours now (to force me to use this
new box as much as possible), and boy does it feel good to be farther away
from MS.  But my eyes are getting extremely sore running 1600x1200 with the
itty bitty crummy default bitmap fonts under X.  :)

As a last resort, I'd prolly install more or bettre Type-1's, but I've never
seen any Type-1 rasterizer/font combination (even Adobe ATM + Adobe Times)
that looked half as good as the Apple/Microsoft TrueType rasterizer with
high-quality hints like Times New Roman, Arial, and Verdana.  So I gotta get
TrueType working or I may go insane.  :)

Thanks for the encouragement, BTW -- it's great to know that at least some
people out there have actually succeeded in getting TT's to work.

BTW, is it [still] true that Netscape limits the font size selection to 12-
point only with TT's?  Have you gotten Verdana or other TT's to look as good
under X as they do under Winblows?

--Todd

[1] http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/truetype/