 Off-Topic / Geek / 1016
Re: Y2K bug in action
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 01:53:47 GMT

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 05:31:55 GMT, "Will Middelaer"
<betamale@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

I just finished reading William Gibson's "All Tomorrow's Parties" (Which,
BTW,is a pretty good book, albeit with a weak ending.).

In the book, one of the funny things that he postulates is that in the future,
there pretty much will not be any new software, just a continual patching and
re-patching of existing code to suit circumstances.  As hardware gets faster
and faster, there is no need to optimize code, only to provide more
functionality, even if it means bloatware.

aka "reality", as it's known outside the publishing world.

I suppose one of the rare exceptions to this would be entertainment software
that has to try to wring as much performance out of each clock cycle that it
can, so that it doesn't limit its market to just Johnny's Rocket PC with the
12GHz Octium IV processor.

I doubt that that will continue for more than a few decades.

There's just so much you can do with a computer - immersive VR with
more objects than you can handle is probably the limit. And that's not
far off in terms of computer power, it's just the I/O devices that
haven't caught up yet.

I am seeing the wealthier of the ultimate geeks around me already
buying VR glasses for Christmas, though (going around $2500 for the
newest Sony model - 30" virtual screen at 1600*1200, IIRC), and I
expect in 5 years from now they'll be wuite feasible. The tech is
driven by large TFT laptop screens, for the most part, and enhancing
fast.

Jasper