 Off-Topic / Geek / 1017
1016  |  1018
Subject:
OpenGL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 18:25:50 GMT

Does anybody out there know their way around the OpenGL API?
I could use some suggestions right now for a problem I have with the
interaction between the Lighting and Material functions and the
Back Face Culling.

It looks like I'll be spending a significant amount of time developing
with linux at work soon.  So I decided over the holidays to get some
practice with the Gnu compiler and debugger.  I thought a neat project
would be to port ldlite to OpenGL so I could still use it when I switch
to linux.  Of course it took a bit longer than I'd hoped to wade through
the lex generated LDRAW parsing code and find the right spots to hook
in the OpenGL calls, and even longer to figure out which of the zillion
OpenGl calls were the right ones, but I finally have something that
displays what looks like lego bricks in a window.

The problem is when I enable the cool Lighting and Material options, the
non clockwise (or CCW I can't remember which) compliant quads and triangles
don't get lit correctly.  I tinkered with some settings trying to get
GL_FRONT_AND_BACK set up the same for everything, but no luck.  The backward
polygons still come out darker.

Anybody have any ideas?  I can put all my hacks on the net somewhere if
you need the see the mess I made.  (Or if you just want to tinker with it)

Don