 Off-Topic / Geek / 1003
1002  |  1004
Subject:
Y2K bug in action
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 23:04:18 GMT

Discovered and squashed a Y2K-related problem today. The weekly full backup
on our (soon to be decommissioned but still limping along) VMS failed,
complaining "Volume label too long." Turns out that the volume label for a
tape must be six letters or less. Whoever wrote the backup script (some long
forgotten work-study student?) generated the label by concatenating the
year, month, and day, and then stripping off the leading "19". Whoops --
what if it's a leading 20?

Rather than looking for the proper way to remove any two characters, I just
changed it to 20. If anyone is still using this machine in one hundred
years, they can deal with it. :)