 Off-Topic / Geek / 1004
Re: Y2K bug in action
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 05:31:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:

Rather than looking for the proper way to remove any two characters, I just
changed it to 20. If anyone is still using this machine in one hundred
years, they can deal with it. :)

I just finished reading William Gibson's "All Tomorrow's Parties" (Which,
BTW,is a pretty good book, albeit with a weak ending.).

In the book, one of the funny things that he postulates is that in the future,
there pretty much will not be any new software, just a continual patching and
re-patching of existing code to suit circumstances.  As hardware gets faster
and faster, there is no need to optimize code, only to provide more
functionality, even if it means bloatware.

I suppose one of the rare exceptions to this would be entertainment software
that has to try to wring as much performance out of each clock cycle that it
can, so that it doesn't limit its market to just Johnny's Rocket PC with the
12GHz Octium IV processor.

Will

(Who spent yesterday and today battling a code problem that strangely enough
had nothing to do with Y2K ;-) )