 Off-Topic / Fun / 9672
Re: Earliest age you remember? (poll)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:26:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Julie Krenz writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

My cheap party question I ask people.  The vast majority of people who have
responded to this usually say they can't remember anything before going off
to school for the first time (kindergarten, age 5).

Wow!  My dad's memories start at around five or six.  That's always seemed so
bizarre.

I have lots of memories from when I was two and three, but my earliest reliable
memory for which there is no picture to blame for having seeded my memory is
just a tableau from Germany.  I was born there because my dad was drafted for
Viet Nam (but only went to Europe) and we moved back to the states in time for
my second birthday.  And I think that my mom told me the scene I can describe
isn't from our last house there.

I can remember playing in the bushes, and looking up the enormous stone wall
that terminated the yard/garden.  The house (all three stories of it) was off
to my right and had beige exterior walls, but I can't recall anything about the
texture.  I fed these details to my mom when I was a young teen and she looked
startled and got out our photoalbums to search for a picture, but none could be
found.  I think she said it was our house in Einsiedlerhoff (sp?).  And I think
that's the place we lived when I turned one and for a few months after.

Anybody remember their first dream, or should I say what's the first dream you
remember?

I had a recurring nightmare from the age of three through about ten in which I
was in Sesame Street after the monsters had all gone home for the day and it
was kind of deserted.  There were a few people around but they were mostly
sinister.  At some point I realize that a small group of them is hunting me (I
think they realized that I didn't belong there) and wanted to hurt me.  After
running and dodging and hiding and running for a long time, they almost always
caught me and held me down on the bench against the fence behind which Big Bird
lived (on the show), and squirted "green lava" out of a small translucent white
bottle into my ear(s?).

I apparently had some kind of goo squirted in my ears to help prevent or treat
ear infections (of which I had many during age twoish), so I suspect that was
the seed for this.  I remember being really upset when I was ten and had the
dream for two reasons: first - it was still awfully damn scary, and second - it
seemed like a babyish nightmare.  I guess I should have been chased by Jason
or something. :-)

Chris