 Off-Topic / Fun / 9671
Re: Earliest age you remember? (poll)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 04:36:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:

Oooh!  Fun question!  The earliest memory I can semi-reliably date is picking
up a dropped hairbrush for my mother while she was pregnant with my sister.
was born in May 1971 and my sister was April 1974, so that would put it
probably about February 1974, while I was still under three years old.  I also
recall talking to my mom via walkie-talkie while she was in the hospital after
giving birth to my sister, as well as decorating Easter eggs that same year.

Heh, my earliest memories of any detail (rather than mere images in my mind,
which date back to about age 2 1/2) also have to do with my mom being pregnant
with my younger sister (3 years 4 months younger than I).

When I was 8 or 9 I overheard my mom telling someone about the time she was
pregnant with my sister and holding me when she lost her balance and we both
fell down the stairs from the kitchen to the garage.  My head somehow landed
in a bucket of starch.  Up until then I had remembered the incident as
a vivid dream-- I was quite surprised to discover it had actually
happened.

My other vivid early memory was of the day they brought my sister home from
the hospital. My dad had pulled the station wagon up to the curb and my mom
got out and was holding my sister in a blanket.  Everyone ran out and crowded
round to see them, leaving me alone in the house standing on tiptoe
straining to peer over the living room window ledge at the scene outside.

Oh, and then there was that time (about age 3) my dad warned me not to catch
bees with my bare hands because they sting, but as I had no clue what he meant
by "sting", I disregarded his admonitions....

Maggie C.