 Off-Topic / Fun / 9651
Re: Signs really freaked me out (NO REAL SPOILERS)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 03:30:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, William R. Ward writes:
"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jon Palmer writes:
It really was.  I seriously think M. Night is a genius.  I personally hope
the man *never* stops making movies like his first 3.

Hmm, did I miss one?  Sixth Sense and Signs are the only two I can
think of.

  Unbreakable.  And Stuart Little, while we're at it.

  I'd caution against overuse of the term "genius," which has been used to
describe Tim Burton and Alanis Morisette, for pity's sake!

"Extremely talented" and "genius" aren't the same thing, but when
you're talking about an entertainer, that's the common usage.  And by
that definition, I'd say that Burton, Morrisette, and Shyamalan all
qualify.

  But in so doing, we utterly strip the word of any value, and where does that
leave us?  Do we heave Bergman and Felini and Greenaway onto the same "genius"
pile as Sandler, Farley, and Varney?

I think the whole point of the movie was "Let's take the hokiest,
overdone premise we can find, and make a good movie out of it."  And
they managed it.  I mean really - crop circles??  Yet, my wife and I
actually screamed at the appropriate spots.  It worked.

  The creepiest single moment, to me, was the shot of the creature's leg as it
stepped out of sight into the corn (reinvented in the image at the start of
this thread).  The rest were 100% standard "Boo!" moments in the manner of
Clive Barker or Freddy Kruger--"scary" because they're abrupt, but without
requiring any deeper atmosphere.
  Yes, Shyamalan is quite good at ambience, and I'm eager to see what he does
next.  But Signs fell a good deal short of my expectations.

     Dave!