 Off-Topic / Fun / 9642
Re: Signs really freaked me out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:16:10 GMT

"Trevor Pruden" <trevor_pruden@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:H0KLrA.AHE@lugnet.com...

What an awesome movie.

It really was.  I seriously think M. Night is a genius.  I personally hope
the man *never* stops making movies like his first 3.

I don't want to give anything away for anyone who hasn't seen it, but
regarding the 'beings' in the film-- back in college a buddy and I liked to
freak each other out with these stories of the 'shadow people'.  Basically
they were these shadowy black, all around creepy things that would just sort
of lurk and find you at night.  Not a very tangible idea but it was all
about mood.  (I personally love a good scare under the right circumstances)
I'm not sure where I picked it up but they seem like a pretty generic
ghost/folklore thing to me.  Anyway the things in this movie were exactly
what I always imagined the shadow people looked like.  Maybe a little more
'solid' but still close enough to give me a bit of the Hoo Ha's.[1]

-Jon (keep an eye on those dark corners ;-)

[1] Hoo Ha's: from the introduction to "More Scary Stories to Tell in the
Dark"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0064401774/102-8683621-9353721
Easily one of the creepiest "kids books" in the history of mankind.  The
others being the first and (a bit less so) the third "Scary Stories" books.
Those illustrations have (delightfully) scarred me for life.  To this day I
can't crack 'em open alone at night.