 Off-Topic / Fun / 9645
Re: Signs really freaked me out (NO REAL SPOILERS)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:27:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jon Palmer writes:
"Trevor Pruden" <trevor_pruden@hotmail.com> wrote in message

By the way--why the heck does Vin Diesel have a job?

Actually, I have to admit that I've been pretty impressed with him.  I mean,
the Fast and the Furious was entertaining, but it certainly wasn't high art or
anything.  But aside from that (and, presumably, his performance in XXX), he's
an impressive individual.  He's always been into acting and the theater, and
has used other jobs to support his interest in film.  He's produced films of
enough merit to be shown at the Cannes Film Festival, and with enough talent to
catch Steven Spielberg's eye.  As a result of *that*, he had a pretty
impressively performed role in "Saving Private Ryan", which showed that he had
at least *some* acting talent, and can play a character with some depth.

I saw an interview with him on the Today Show yesterday.  He made mention of
the fact that TFATF and XXX were effective springboards for him, which provided
him with the leverage to work on films that he's more passionate about (such as
the upcoming Hannibal[1] film)

I guess I'm a sucker for someone who works hard to get where they are,
especially so if they had to get there in a non-lucrative fashion.  It's so
much more inspirational to hear a story like his, rather than unimpressive
people falling into the roles as a result of knowing the right people.

I have to say that I'm looking forward to his portrayal of Hannibal.  We'll
have to see if his talk is just that, or if he can really capitalize on his
position to become a stronger performer.  In fairness, I could see him going
either way; straight to the typecast grade-B action flick bin, or into a
more impressive pool of actors.

-s

[1] That Hannibal as in "Crossing the Alps on elephants" Hannibal, not "How
about a nice Chianti and some Favre Beans with that brain, Clarice" Hannibal.