 Off-Topic / Fun / 9643
Re: Signs really freaked me out (NO REAL SPOILERS)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:45:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jon Palmer writes:
"Trevor Pruden" <trevor_pruden@hotmail.com> wrote in message

What an awesome movie.

It really was.  I seriously think M. Night is a genius.  I personally hope
the man *never* stops making movies like his first 3.

  I'd caution against overuse of the term "genius," which has been used to
describe Tim Burton and Alanis Morisette, for pity's sake!
  In any case, I'd have to object that, IMO, Signs was the weakest of his
"main" three films.  The atmosphere--his greatest strength--was very good,
but the plot was really linear.  The whole series of "coincidences" was
pretty contrived, too.  Moreover, the aliens' weakness was so ridiculous
that it truly spoiled the entire "threat" aspect of the plot for me.  Before
anyone invokes H.G. Wells in Shyamalan's defense, we should recall that
Wells wrote during a different time, long before genre cliches had become so
firmly established.
  The acting was quite strong (although the little boy's dialogue almost
never "rang true" for me) and there were some genuinely creepy moments.  I
was certainly entertained but was ultimately disappointed by the film.

     Dave!

  By the way--why the heck does Vin Diesel have a job?