 Off-Topic / Fun / 9646
Re: Signs really freaked me out (NO REAL SPOILERS)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:37:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Shaun Sullivan writes:

By the way--why the heck does Vin Diesel have a job?

Actually, I have to admit that I've been pretty impressed with him.  I mean,
the Fast and the Furious was entertaining, but it certainly wasn't high art or
anything.  But aside from that (and, presumably, his performance in XXX), he's
an impressive individual.  He's always been into acting and the theater, and
has used other jobs to support his interest in film.  He's produced films of
enough merit to be shown at the Cannes Film Festival, and with enough talent
to catch Steven Spielberg's eye.  As a result of *that*, he had a pretty
impressively performed role in "Saving Private Ryan", which showed that he had
at least *some* acting talent, and can play a character with some depth.

  Whoa!  I was just trying for a zinger on the apparent flavor-of-the-month;
I had no idea he'd done anything but "extreme" films.  My apologies to
Diesel for a hasty judgment!
  I'm leery of anything hard-marketed as "extreme," (it all seems like
overblown Sprite commercials to me) and I guess I just threw him on the pile
with all the rest.  Which character was he in Saving Private Ryan (not his
name, but for which scene might he be best remembered)?

    Dave!