 Off-Topic / Fun / 4253
  Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

Hi, all. If you've been combing Wal-Marts, you probably know by now that the US Gummint has chosen them as a conduit for dispersing the new gold(ish) dollar coin into the US market. These first became available on Saturday or Sunday, and they're (...) (24 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) <vast and indiscriminate snippage> Can't help you much with your study, but when the same thing happened in Canada (new $1.00 coin), there wasn't the fooforah you seem to be expecting. The only fooforah that occured was the government's vast (...) (24 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) I didn't actually notice that. I am so used to paying with plastic (need to get all the miles I can get, I have a wedding I need to go to) that I am oblivious to cash. That's actually kind of weird (24 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) Can't help with your study, but I do have one of the new coins. Fairly cool, in the newer modern-Mint-school-of-design way (more flat background surfaces, basically). Basic results from showing it to everyone on my team: it's too much like a (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) Yah the Nickel, Dime, Quarter, and Half Dollar! ;-). I just hate that little piece of copper they give you that you have to throw in a bucket at home to use as a door stop. I have more door stops now than I have doors. Why do we need another (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) I love coins. I am absolutely thrilled with the idea after using a pocketful of 2-pound coins (1) to travel the London Underground. Coins last longer than a bill, are easier to fumble through when in your pocket, and generally (IMO) look (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) After the compulsory wailing-and-gnashing-of-teeth that occured when the Loonie (and later the Toonie) were introduced in Canada, things settled down and they became accepted by most, and liked by many. Sound and fury, and all that. James (URL) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) Maybe. Coins leave your hands smelling funny, though, unless they are not made of base metal. Why they're made of base metal and whether they should be, I will put a pin in, as that's a topic for .debate, not .fun... However, I'll stack my CTA (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) Of course the T does use cards for monthly passes. It is also possible to get a "visitor's" pass which is for a shorter timeframe (may just be a week, not sure what the options are). When our church youth group visited Boston last year (our (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) Yes but... I don't want a pass. A pass is a fixed time all you can eat thing. My schedule is too irregular to make a pass a good idea for me. (well, maybe a LIFETIME pass??) What I want is a stored value mechanism that's lighter to carry than (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

How often are you in DC Larry? WAMALUG would love to have a VIP at one of our frequent meetings. -Chris (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) Once in a great while, unfortunately. Unlike Boston, I am back in Boston M through W next week, although busy. (...) Cool, I'll try to see if I can bring one with me next time I come. (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) You can't go directly between the cars anymore while the trains are moving? We used to do that when I was in college. (24 years ago, 5-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]

(...) Technically, you CAN, but it's against CTA rules and not all that safe when you are dragging a rollaway and your computer. Besides, I like freaking out the CTAers, and since everyone else does the between the cars thing, I get to be different. (24 years ago, 6-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)