 Off-Topic / Fun / 4287
Re: Fun with Sacajewea [kind of long]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:45:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Mr L F Braun wrote:

If you've been combing Wal-Marts, you probably know by now that the US
Gummint has chosen them as a conduit for dispersing the new gold(ish)
dollar coin into the US market.  These first became available on
Saturday or Sunday, and they're kind of snazzy.

Can't help with your study, but I do have one of the new coins.  Fairly cool, in
the newer modern-Mint-school-of-design way (more flat background surfaces,
basically).

Basic results from showing it to everyone on my team:  it's too much like a
quarter.  Apparently we're all old enough to remember the SBA debacle.
Side-by-side, there's no confusion, but when each of us first saw the the
Sacajawea--by itself--our little brains went "quarter!".

It should be darker (but maybe it'll tarnish over time), it should be larger,
*something* to not make people think 'quarter' when they see it.

Then again, for many Americans, there have always only been 4 main coins.
Anything else that is close enough in size to be practical, is going to be too
close to the others.  So maybe it's just a matter of taking time to get used to
the new coin.

Hmm.  I wonder how the vending machines down the hall would react?

Steve