 Off-Topic / Fun / 2548
2547  |  2549
Subject:
GMLTC module at BayLUG follow-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:37:34 GMT

  Since I missed some of the original threads where folks detailed
how one goes about building a GMLTC module, I was quite pleased
that Mike actually did make it to our meeting.

  I think that his module was deliberately two heights, exposing
some of the internal structure for our viewing and amazement. :-)
However, this did weaken the module a bit, resulting in a collapse
of part of the structure when he was moving it to show us some
hidden feature. The end result was that we go to see *more* of
the hidden structure that gives the modules their strength, and a
few of us even got to help put some of the bricks back on. :-)

  Mike's large, colorfull module, plus his black and yellw 4-car
Club Car train were the best attractions for pulling visitors
into our meeting. (We don't get much pre-meeting press, and we can
only put up signage on the day of the meeting, in limited areas,
so we rely on color and movement near windows to catch their eye.)

  I was amazed and shocked to hear how many thousand 2x2 and 2x4
bricks went into the module itself. (I really ought to count up
the elements in the round house, and I bet I'd be surprised at
that count as well.)

  I still think we could build up a height-transition module from
table-top height to module height. ;-)

  I'll stick to the PNLTC tables for now, and save my pennies for
when those big buckets go on sale!

       -Z-