 Off-Topic / Fun / 1244
Re: When are K-12 spring breaks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:37:37 GMT

Where I'm from, "Spring Break" was really the couple of days around the state hockey
tournament which was always in my home town.  That'd be the end of February,
usually.  I guess they figured we'd all play hooky for the hockey anyway... so why
bother?
Beth Reiten

Frank Filz wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote:

I just learned (to my astonishment) that K-12 schools in Massachusetts
allegedly don't have Spring Break near Easter.  Instead, kids get a week off in
February (this week apparently).  I grew up in Minnesota, where there is no
week off in February but always one week off either directly before or directly
after Easter.

I grew up in Mass... They also get a week in April, the week containing
April 19 (Patriots Day, observed on Monday). The February week is always
the week containing President's Day. I like the schedule. It gives a
week off in prime Ski season, and a week off in the comfortable portion
of New England's spring (Easter time tends to be a bit too cold, at
least when it is in March).

Down here in NC, most schools usually get the week after Easter (one
recent year, the break did not line up with Easter).

Some private schools (both here and in Mass.) get spring break always in
March (not aligned to Easter).

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com