 Off-Topic / Fun / 928
Re: When are K-12 spring breaks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 22:54:42 GMT

Yes, you're right.  In fact, watching that first season again is good for yucks
(Worf, bunhead Troi, quirky data).  I would say, though, that the show found its
stride fairly quickly after that (the aforementioned Pulaski notwithstanding).
IIRC the Great Bird died shortly after the fifth season began (of a total 7).  Much
of the camp, I found, though was intentional.  I like a show that can laugh at
itself.  I point to the ever-entertaining, omnipotent Q (John de Lancie) as an
example.  How hilarious was Corbin Bernsen as Q? "Hello, Q" "Hello, Q!"  That
entire episode (DejaQ) is a classic!  BTW, for any ST:TNG fans out there: get _The
ST:TNG Companion_ by Larry Nemecek-- a Must Have!  Now, how to get on topic in
off-topic fun.....Star Trek Lego theme, please!  D'oh! (cross-posting to dear-lego)

Richard Dee wrote:

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:38:14 GMT, John Neal uttered the following
profundities...
lol. In fact, did you see the episode in which he appears as himself?  As much
as "Star Trek" gets ripped as an example of pop culture, for my money Star
Trek:TNG, DS9, and ST: Voyager are among the best written shows ever on TV,
IMHO:)  The original, though, is campy pabulum ....Beam me up, Scotty,  before
the flames get me!
Well, TNG was as camp at times as the original. It was after
Roddenberry's death that the show (and spin-offs) got really
good.