 Off-Topic / Fun / 1102
  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) It kickes every computer's butt that's currently on the market. 128 bit 300 MHz beats 500 MHz 32 bit hands down :) Jasper (25 years ago, 9-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) <laughing> You're assuming his computer is a *desktop* computer. Yes, the PSX2 specs will stomp any desktop computer specs for the next nine months. But Mike's computer isn't a desktop computer, AFAIK. :) Adam bwappo@ee.net (25 years ago, 9-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) What I seem to remember was Celeron's at 450. Of course, he _could_ have been talking about his company's computer, in which case I know where to find the Sun Enterprise 450's. Jasper (25 years ago, 11-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) You're correct about the former, and I believe Mike was referring to the latter. I've no idea about the specs for the Sun, but I'm inclined to believe that they'll be in a different chart from his desktop Celeron 450. :) Adam bwappo@ee.net (25 years ago, 12-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) No doubt. Mike? You using Sun Enterprises at work? How many gigs ram, how many CPUs, how many terabytes storage & how many petabytes backup tape library? ;) Jasper (25 years ago, 12-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) Oh, I don't use any of those machines as my personal machine. :) I honestly meant the PSX2 wouldn't beat MY machine - a 450 with dual 3d accelerators. And I stick by that. It won't beat it resolution-wise (why make a console that can do (...) (25 years ago, 14-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) Both true. Sheer rc5 cracking power, however.... Think of it! These things come with builtin comms gear, all you have to do is write some software, set up a PSX2 farm, and you can beat Deep Thought ;) (...) I seem to have heard something about (...) (25 years ago, 15-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) I own a PlayStation, and the only thing that I have to add to Computer v. Console, is that Console is about 1/10 the price of a computer. So, dollar for dollar, a Console will be tops. As well, the games seem to be a bit cheaper than the (...) (25 years ago, 15-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) I *owned* a PSX, and I paid a lot more for mine than most people paid for theirs, even back when they hadn't come near $199. All that said, I put my latest machine together for well under $800, and it beats the living tar out of anything the (...) (25 years ago, 15-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) But not every one is willing to put together a budget computer, not to mention the fact that people want the newest, fastest processor which ends up blowing the budget. (25 years ago, 16-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) True, true. I didn't put together a budget computer, btw. I just knew where to get parts cheap and I saved money doing it myself. Budget computers to me are things like eMachines and the like - no "putting together" required. Not many people (...) (25 years ago, 17-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)