 Off-Topic / Debate / 9771
Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 06:00:53 GMT

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 01:22:17 GMT, "Daniel Jassim"
<danieljassim@hotmail.com> wrote:

Every other word out of his mouth was "billions and billions."  He must have
said it....billions and billions of times!

100% not true. Actually, it was the WAY Sagan said "billions" that got him
into trouble. When he did the "Cosmos" TV series, Sagan over pronounced the
"B" in billions so that it wouldn't sound like "millions." It was so
noticable that people thought the dude was stuck on the word so the gag just
took on a life of it's own. Folks even asked him to write "billions and
billions" when he gave autographs.

Sagan got a kick out of it. He said it wouldn't make sense for him to use
the term "billions and billions" because it is too imprecise. He WOULD say
stuff like "billions of stars and billions of galaxies" in the same sentence
but never "billions and billions" just like that.

Dan

They did a show about him on the Biography channel, it was quite good.
They showed some of the SNL takes and such.  Aparently the "Cosmos"
series was one of the biggest it public television history.

Robert