 Off-Topic / Debate / 9835
Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:56:49 GMT

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:30:01 GMT, "Daniel Jassim"
<danieljassim@hotmail.com> wrote:

Heard him say it.  Wasn't recorded.  Doesn't mean I'm wrong or that Dr.
Sagan remembered it.  Gosh, you are taking this personally.

(yawn-----smack, smack----scratch) Like I said, the misquote came after the
"Cosmos" series because of the WAY Sagan overpronounced the "B" in
"billions." You'll never find any recorded proof he said it before "Cosmos"
either because he just didn't. The man himself checked everything he did to
see if he really said it and nothing turned up. Also, he said it's just not
his style to use that phrase. What more can I say?

You claim he DID say it before the "Cosmos" series in some private capacity
in 1985? How is that possible when the "Cosmos" series came out 5 years before?

Dan

On the Biography special they did on him they had a clip where he said
"billions and billions", but I don't recall if it was an excert from
the Cosmos series or just something he did later on as a gag.
Regardless of whether he said it on the Cosmos series he did in fact
say the phrase.  Although now that I think about it...what's the point
of this debate?  I believe that maybe I missed another meeting.  o_O

Robert