 Off-Topic / Debate / 9769
  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) On the Biography special they did on him they had a clip where he said "billions and billions", but I don't recall if it was an excert from the Cosmos series or just something he did later on as a gag. Regardless of whether he said it on the (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) 100% not true. Actually, it was the WAY Sagan said "billions" that got him into trouble. When he did the "Cosmos" TV series, Sagan over pronounced the "B" in billions so that it wouldn't sound like "millions." It was so noticable that people (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) They did a show about him on the Biography channel, it was quite good. They showed some of the SNL takes and such. Aparently the "Cosmos" series was one of the biggest it public television history. Robert (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Yes, and it remains a landmark series and definitely worth renting (I think there are 9 episodes). The public library AV department in my town had the video series in their PBS section, maybe yours does too. I don't know if places like (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) I was exaggerating for effect, of course. But yes, he did say billions and billions on occasion. Bruce (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Sorry, not true. Sagan was misquoted and that's just a plain fact. The only time he actually said "billions and billions" was after the misquote became a trademark (not what Sagan wanted, but what the hell) and he would say it at conferences (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Please reconcile what you just admited he said with what I said. :-) Bruce (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Okay, I think I follow you here: If you mean to say that Sagan was correctly quoted in initially using the phrase "billions and billions," then that is false. If you mean that Sagan later said "billions and billions" after the fact of being (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Having heard him say it even before Cosmos was made, I can attest he did use the phrase on occasion. Bruce (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) (yawn) Sagan wrote in his book "Billions and Billions" that the phrase is not part of his speech and vocabulary. Ever the scientist, the guy even carefully researched his work, his videos and interviews to find one instance of him using that (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Heard him say it. Wasn't recorded. Doesn't mean I'm wrong or that Dr. Sagan remembered it. Gosh, you are taking this personally. Bruce (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Perhaps this very issue, based on the testimony of one apologist who can by his own admission present no hard evidence for his claims, will result in a new religion. Saganity, perhaps. Death to the billions and billions of heretics who oppose (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) That's pretty sage advice. Who can I Contact? Cheers, - jsproat (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.pun)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Hey! I'm not the apologist, I'm the vile accuser hell-bent to destroy Dr. Sagan's memory! :-) Bruce (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Keep it up, and we'll mount a jihad against your slanderous ilk! I saw him speak at PSU a few years ago before a disappointingly small audience. During that presentation he did not say "billions and billions." Surely my experience of Dr. Sagan (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: After all, isn't a brief, one-time sampling sufficient to (...) Only if you're an economist. james (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) (yawn-----smack, smack----scratch) Like I said, the misquote came after the "Cosmos" series because of the WAY Sagan overpronounced the "B" in "billions." You'll never find any recorded proof he said it before "Cosmos" either because he just (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Hah! Where's my black turtleneck and tweed sport jacket? Dan (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

I have heard this story too but it's hard to believe! I could swear I hear him say that phrase. I do remember a SNL skit during the 1980 Presidential Campaign where they put Jesse Jackson in the hot seat with a big red nuclear launch button. On one (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

(...) Yep, you are taking this way too personally. If you want to answer my email personally and discuss it, fine. Bruce (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

Well, my dear friend, all I can say is watch and enjoy the "Cosmos" series and tell me if he said "billions and billions." I can only repeat that Sagan said he was misquoted for using that phrase in the "Cosmos" series, that he wouldn't use such a (...) (23 years ago, 6-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

This is my final post regarding Carl Sagan and the "billions and billions" stuff. By the way, in "Cosmos" Sagan does say "billions upon billions." Anyway, this quote comes from Chapter 1 of Sagan's book "Billions and Billions": I never said it. (...) (23 years ago, 6-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)