 Off-Topic / Debate / 9577
Re: Good news for collectors (was Re: 1593 box photos!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:21:07 GMT

Absolutely.  The differences are carefully selected, but this two-party
tyranny has blandified elections.  On too many issues I couldn't tell Cheney
from Lieberman from Dubya from Gore.

"and who's going to be president, Tweedle Dumb or Tweedle Dumber" (Ani
Difranco)

Since I sit _far_ to the left, I don't much care for either one of the
mainstream US parties (not though it really matters, since I am a Canadian, and
have no say about what the elephant does or who governs it...I just get run
over by it!)

However, I would say that both US parties are so middle of the road that it is
almost funny to see.  Neither party could get elected if they were not middle
of the road, which is why I perfer to see 3 major parties (that way, you tend
to have a centeralist, and a left and right wing...of course, here in Canada,
we have 5 parties, one of which wants out (BQ), one of which exists by block
voting (NDP), one of which is going to be absorbed in one way or another (PC)
by the C.R.A.P. party (or whatever they are calling themselfs, C.R.A.P. of
course standing for Canadian Reform Alliance Party), and the Liberals, who form
the government because most people want moderation, and they seem best able to
deliver it.

Pre BQ/CRAP politics in Canada were better, IMO, because there were the 3
parties, one left, one centerist, one right wing, and they tended towards a
cetnerist/left wing approach to government (which, IMO is the most _practical_
government, no matter how far from my "Ideal" government it might be!).  Right
now we have a centerist government that IMO is NOT doing a good job of finding
any new solutions to problems, it just keeps on keeping on.

James
(Who is representing himself, and not his employer...I have to include that,
since the topic _is_ my employer!)