 Off-Topic / Debate / 9526
Re: Who does W. Love? BIG OIL!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:19:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

I don't see how third-world countries, which are by definition under-
industrialized, can be blamed for producing more pollution than the United
Smokestack of America.

Proportionately, developing nations do indeed put greater amounts of
pollutants into the atmosphere than developed nations - chiefly because
poorer countries either lack, or have chosen not to install, pollution
control devices that mitigate the problem.  China is a good example of this -
it is heavily dependent on the burning of "soft" coal, which is bituminous,
IIRC, and heavy with carbon that produces soot when burned.

  That's a very good point.  "Proportionately" is a tricky word in this
context because ultimately it's the net amount (and severity) of pollution,
not the relative amount that's important.

In the U.S., really, the major contributor of green house gases is automotive
emissions, not refineries or power plants.  Most "smokestacks" have very good
pollution regulators.  You're from Pittsburgh, right?  Here in Houston, the
smoke coming out of our refinery smokestacks is white, but 40 years ago it was
black.  I'd warrant that its the same in Pittsburgh.

8^)  I'm a recent import to Pittsburgh, but I've seen pictures from the
fifties taken at high noon that looked like twilight or darker!  The air
here still has a distinctly industrial tinge to it, even twenty years and
more since the industry deteriorated.

Anyway, basically, our automotive culture is contributing the lion's share of
our poor air quality, while in third world countries it is unregulated or
antiquated power plants that are causing the problem.

  I like this more balanced assessment of the problem, rather than a
knee-jerk "it's not us, it's them" argument.

     Dave!