 Off-Topic / Debate / 9511
Re: Who does W. Love? BIG OIL!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:45:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

I read the story and didn't see anything about oil. Also, you can't discount
his (W's) stated concern about energy prices, especially living on the west
coast.

And as far as Big Oil is concerned...ever here of a guy named Mark Rich -
the Big Oil tycoon who purchased a pardon?!

You're aware, I trust, that the President can pardon whomever he (or, when
the time comes, she) chooses, right?  Perhaps we might ask why Bush pardoned
Weinberger or why Ford pardoned Nixon.  Obviously the Rich pardon was
performed in a clandestine, shady way, and undoubtedly there are questions
of motive and propriety, but if you believe that this sort of thing is
unprecedented, you're mistaken.

Democrats are such "hippie-cricks".

Sweeping generalizations like this are unhelpful rhetoric; if your argument
cannot be focused to a point without engaging in demagoguery, your argument
itself is useless. Mark has not claimed that "Republicans are such
Industrial Shills," which would be a similarly inflammatory snipe.  Mark has
instead raised a point about a semi-former Big Oil Man pursuing legislative
avenues ultimately favorable to Big Oil Industry.
No, the article doesn't state "BUSH CLEARS THE WAY FOR DIRTY OIL," but
that's not what Mark's asserting, either.

(Anyone remember where that's from?) They complain about
and try to sue tobacco companies and then offer homeless people cigarettes
if they vote - so much for being against smoking and for the homeless!

Again, this is a sweeping generalization.  I might as readily say
"Republicans are racist, misogynistic homophobes," but that would be no more
accurate or useful than your implication that "they (democrats)" are all
engaged in tobacco/voting subterfuge.

     Dave!