 Off-Topic / Debate / 9129
Re: I've said enough...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:27:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
(Note: I'm not debating in this post)

Me either :^)

David Eaton wrote:

Honestly, I don't think that at all. What do I think? I think this is a
phenomenally hard topic for a lot of people.

Well you're sort of right and sort of not.  My problem with this
particular debate is my lack of debate experience coupled with my lack
of scientific training.  To be truthful, however, I have studied the
debate itself as an observer lots of times from an outside angle.

No. I think it's more likely that you can't quite find exactly the words
you'd need to do so, and you aren't used to thinking about the issues the
way that we're doing here. It's tough. And I appreciate the effort on your
part. However, I do think you'll need more practice at it... heck, that's
why some of us are debating it to begin with :)

It is true that I don't have the same experience in debating as
probably most of you do, but I do have (I should say did have)
just taking more time than I initially anticipated as I quickly realised
that I had to confirm many of my responses in my own mind for accuracy
(although there was much debate on the credability of my sources)

I think a lot of time is wasted disputing points (eg fossils) rather than more
general arguments (eg whether scientific observation of Evolution is based on
faith or theory). The misleading distortions of the Creationists (eg
"disproving" abiogenesis means you have "disproven" species-to-species
evolution) and disruptive interjections from atheists ("but who created the
creator then?") don't help.

If you're really getting stressed about it, all I can say is you're taking
it too seriously.

Actually I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the topic of the debate that I
was struggling with (if you only knew how much I've been fighting myself
all day to NOT reply to some of the messages directed towards me) it was
the time factor that it was reuiring.

You should feel free to be more selective in your replies Tim. There are several
evolutionists responding to your posts simultaneously, and with Jon dropping out
of the debate you were pretty much going it alone. Tag-team can work, but only
one-on-one.

As DavidE was saying, it's the fundamental points that matter. For instance,
many Creationist attacks on Evolution rely on the supposed absurdity of its
mechanism ("a lizard gave birth to a bird!!!" etc). But what makes the Biblical
account any more believable, with all its supernatural goings on? This is not to
say you shouldn't believe in the Bible, but if you can accept the
counterintuitive claims it makes, why not accept those of evolutionary biology?

The only reason I can see for privileging the Bible over the Origin of Species
as an analysis of life's diversity is that the former is the inerrant revealed
word of God. But if we accept that, then how can any fallible human try to
contradict the Biblical account? If they can't, what does that prove? That
evolution doesn't happen? Or that to prefer Creationism over evolution you have
to believe in the Bible?

--DaveL