 Off-Topic / Debate / 9081
Re: I've said enough...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 02:49:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
...And now that you've all read that subject line you've probably said
to yourself "aha! - He's been trapped and knows it and is going to make
an excuse so he doesn't have to admit he's wrong".....and you're
entitled to think that if you wish, and if I were in your position I
would probably think the same thing.

Honestly, I don't think that at all. What do I think? I think this is a
phenomenally hard topic for a lot of people. I'm used to it. So are a lot of
the people here. Heck, that's why we post so much-- because we've had lots
of practice at thinking about these issues on this level, we've had lots of
practice debating them, and especially a lot on Lugnet (many of us). Do I
think you're wrong, and are ducking out because you can't defend yourself?
No. I think it's more likely that you can't quite find exactly the words
you'd need to do so, and you aren't used to thinking about the issues the
way that we're doing here. It's tough. And I appreciate the effort on your
part. However, I do think you'll need more practice at it... heck, that's
why some of us are debating it to begin with :)

But I'll tell you the truth:  I've done nothing for the past week but
wake up, go to work, then come home and envelope myself in this debate.

When I jumped in I wasn't prepared for the mental stamina and time it
would require.

I now realize after coming directly home from work and sitting directly
down at the computer for 3 straight hours doing nothing but reading and
replying to messages in lugnet.off-topic.debate I'm only serving to
elevate my own stress and fatigue level.

If you're really getting stressed about it, all I can say is you're taking
it too seriously. If you do decide to keep at it, just try and sit down and
take it step at a time, sentence by sentence, thought by thought, and really
try and figure out what the deeper issues are. Find out the true root of
your argument, and the root of the other person's. And if you find it, voice
it, and people still don't get it, try re-stating it a few times. And if
THEY still don't get it, try not to get frustrated.

I just finished reading like 10 or 20 more messages after finally
getting something to eat and I would love to reply to all of them and
give my views but I don't think I can keep up with it.

And something else on that note-- although this discussion can be quite
invigorating, don't let it take over your life. I think Steve Chapelle has
been handling this very well with respect to his own self. If he's busy at
work, busy at home, or just has too much going on to participate, he doesn't
post. It's just a debate. Others of us (Jon, myself, Dave!, etc) are posting
quite frequently-- but just because we do so doesn't make us any more or
less right.

One problem is this debate is wide-open and unmoderated and that means I
can argue until I die literally and as long as someone else argues back
it will never come to a close.

Quite true. It's a matter of trying to get to the root of the issues. When I
get to the point at which sheer preference dictates the opinions presented
without logical recourse, it's time to throw in the towel. And likewise if
you can't seem to get to that level no matter how hard you try. If someone
doesn't get it, don't kill yourself trying to get your point across.

I've attempted to make a few points, and people have replied with some
very good (as well as some what I percieve very poor) points, and I just
can't keep it up.

I apologize if I contributed to your frustration, and I'm rather sure I
have, considering one of my more recent posts. And for what it's worth, I'm
sorry for being harsh. As I'm sure you're aware, emotions are quickly drawn
into this kind of a debate, and I should know better than to involve them.
It is my hope, however, that you can get by them, and try not to take
anything here too personally.

So for those of you who will continue to debate, I congradulate you on
putting the effort into it and will be interested to continue to follow
(but not re-enter) the debate.

Sorry to lose you to the debate, but if you indeed wish to leave, I won't
hold it against you. It's always a lot less stressful to be an observer (at
least for me), and upon occasion I've found it better to watch (or wish I'd
watched :) than to debate...

(I'm gonna get back to my LEGO now :)

And I should get back to sorting mine so I can once again walk (and more
importantly build) in my Lego room :)

DaveE