 Off-Topic / Debate / 9114
Re: I've said enough...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 05:11:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
Well you're sort of right and sort of not.  My problem with this
particular debate is my lack of debate experience coupled with my lack
of scientific training.  To be truthful, however, I have studied the
debate itself as an observer lots of times from an outside angle.

It's often very helpful to watch a debate before joining in, just to get a
feel for the dynamics of the group, if not just the subject matter. And
sometimes it's amazing how much it changes when you actually are the one
who's in the limelight. Suddenly it's not just something you wanted to talk
about, but an idea you feel obligated to defend... Just one of those things
that don't help the stress levels :(

Actually I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the topic of the debate that I
was struggling with (if you only knew how much I've been fighting myself
all day to NOT reply to some of the messages directed towards me) it was
the time factor that it was reuiring.

Well that's a big relief, actually. Because honestly, if you're really
stressed because you feel phenomenally obligated to defend your position,
then I'd wonder about how secure you felt in it. But if it's just the time
commitment, that's a MUCH better and more real thing to be concerned over.
At least I think so.

Well actually I was doing that and it was taking way too much time.  As
I originally mentioned I think everyone would fare better if somehow the
debate could be moderated.

It would be an interesting twist, I think... And all the more twisted
depending on the moderator :)

I agree....the problem was I was listening to my reaction impulse
instead of my other senses (like food - by the time I finished last
night I was STARVING!)

Doh! I'm actually guilty of that a couple times myself. I got home from work
one day, sat down to compose two responses, looked back up at the clock and
it was almost 9pm, and I hadn't gotten up from my seat the whole time...
Although it happens more often that I'll just end up staying up late...

....the problem is my opponent who happens to have just enough more
mental endurance (or who has no other life) then proceeds to accuse me
of dodging their question...which moderation would fix by not letting
the "last word" syndrome to exist.

I guess the only thing I have issue with in these debates is just that.
SOMEONE has the last word. Someone goes first, and then someone else
produces a rebuttal. Even if moderated, I think that issue couldn't be
avoided. Too bad, really, that we as humans tend to associate the unanswered
with that which is uncapable of BEING answered-- hence the need for the last
word bonus point.

I apologize if I contributed to your frustration, and I'm rather sure I
have, considering one of my more recent posts. And for what it's worth, I'm
sorry for being harsh. As I'm sure you're aware, emotions are quickly drawn
into this kind of a debate, and I should know better than to involve them.
It is my hope, however, that you can get by them, and try not to take
anything here too personally.

No need to apologize....

Actually, I do rather feel the need to apologize, but not for your being
offended. More for my own attitude expressed in my last post to you within
the debate. I may regret your reaction to it, but that's not my fault. I
regret my words, which I most definitely could have rephrased without the
strong negative tone that was present.

getting frustrated is nobody's fault but my
own.  In fact, if after reading all those messages last night I hadn't
decided to it back down 40 minutes later I might still be effectively
debating right now.

Often I wonder what would have happened in the event that I didn't continue
to feed the debate... To be honest, though I have my regrets, the experience
itself I think always teaches something-- And even if not something new,
then at least a refresher course :)

DaveE