 Off-Topic / Debate / 9105
Re: I've said enough...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:25:39 GMT

(Note: I'm not debating in this post)

David Eaton wrote:

Honestly, I don't think that at all. What do I think? I think this is a
phenomenally hard topic for a lot of people.

Well you're sort of right and sort of not.  My problem with this
particular debate is my lack of debate experience coupled with my lack
of scientific training.  To be truthful, however, I have studied the
debate itself as an observer lots of times from an outside angle.

No. I think it's more likely that you can't quite find exactly the words
you'd need to do so, and you aren't used to thinking about the issues the
way that we're doing here. It's tough. And I appreciate the effort on your
part. However, I do think you'll need more practice at it... heck, that's
why some of us are debating it to begin with :)

It is true that I don't have the same experience in debating as
proba\bly most of you do, but I do have (I should say did have)
just taking more time than I initially anticipated as I quickly realised
that I had to confirm many of my responses in my own mind for accuracy
(although there was much debate on the credability of my sources)

If you're really getting stressed about it, all I can say is you're taking
it too seriously.

Actually I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the topic of the debate that I
was struggling with (if you only knew how much I've been fighting myself
all day to NOT reply to some of the messages directed towards me) it was
the time factor that it was reuiring.

If you do decide to keep at it, just try and sit down and
take it step at a time, sentence by sentence, thought by thought, and really
try and figure out what the deeper issues are. Find out the true root of
your argument, and the root of the other person's. And if you find it, voice
it, and people still don't get it, try re-stating it a few times. And if
THEY still don't get it, try not to get frustrated.

Well actually I was doing that and it was taking way too much time.  As
I originally mentioned I think everyone would fare better if somehow the
debate could be moderated.

And something else on that note-- although this discussion can be quite
invigorating, don't let it take over your life. I think Steve Chapelle has
been handling this very well with respect to his own self. If he's busy at
work, busy at home, or just has too much going on to participate, he doesn't
post. It's just a debate. Others of us (Jon, myself, Dave!, etc) are posting
quite frequently-- but just because we do so doesn't make us any more or
less right.

I agree....the problem was I was listening to my reaction impulse
instead of my other senses (like food - by the time I finished last
night I was STARVING!)

Quite true. It's a matter of trying to get to the root of the issues. When I
get to the point at which sheer preference dictates the opinions presented
without logical recourse, it's time to throw in the towel. And likewise if
you can't seem to get to that level no matter how hard you try. If someone
doesn't get it, don't kill yourself trying to get your point across.

....the problem is my opponent who happens to have just enough more
mental endurance (or who has no other life) then proceeds to accuse me
of dodging their question...which moderation would fix by not letting
the "last word" syndrome to exist.

I apologize if I contributed to your frustration, and I'm rather sure I
have, considering one of my more recent posts. And for what it's worth, I'm
sorry for being harsh. As I'm sure you're aware, emotions are quickly drawn
into this kind of a debate, and I should know better than to involve them.
It is my hope, however, that you can get by them, and try not to take
anything here too personally.

No need to apologize....getting frustrated is nobody's fault but my
own.  In fact, if after reading all those messages last night I hadn't
decided to it back down 40 minutes later I might still be effectively
debating right now.

--
-TiM
NB, CA