 Off-Topic / Debate / 7783
Re: The Problem of Evil
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 07:29:40 GMT

Richard Marchetti wrote:

Hey Y'all:

I see some of you exerting some considerable effort around the subject of
the problem of evil.  I thought I might summarize the essentials if I might...

The problem of evil is normally worded in the manner of a theorem, as are
the following variants:

1. If God is good, he will want to abolish evil

Flawed.  God is good and gives us free will to choose evil.  Respecting this
choice is a part of honoring our autonomy.

2. If God is all powerful, he must be able to abolish evil

If God wanted to.  See above.

3. Evil exists
Therefore, an all powerful, good God does not exist

or:

1. God is the first cause and created everything
2. Evil is something

Flawed.  Explain how to quantify evil.

Therefore, God is the creator of evil

What I find interesting about this problem is that either conclusion only
matters if you happen to believe in good or evil to begin with -- which I do
not.  I think the above "proofs" have an intended audience of Christian
believers, and are essentially meaningless to others outside that circle --
however large that circle may in fact happen to be.  But the point is: the
Christian god cannot exist in the manner in which most Christians envision
him to exist.  Whatever he may or may not be, God is other than what
Christians have imagined.

This goes without saying.

If you base your ideas on duality as opposing forces, rather than aspects of
the same thing you will always get the above results.  To paraphrase
Shakespeare: There are more things in existence than are dreamt of in your
philosophy!

Me?  I don't believe in good or evil -- I believe in adversity.  I believe
that the universe is a place where things struggle, not necessarily in
opposition, but merely for survival.  Every living thing, every energy,
strives for it's own position or niche.  A fish might eat seaweed or
microscopic organisms, I eat the fish, something else might eat me -- none
of us the more evil for having done it.

Maybe not for non sentient beings and things, but it is different for us.  We
have free will.  What about morality?

-John

Evil is just a word, a conceit to
reify the asserted nature of human existence -- "O, woe is me!".  Good is
just a word too, the sort of idea one wants to luxuriate in when one has
done something out of self-interest but wants to pretend otherwise.

-- Richard