 Off-Topic / Debate / 6546
Re: Look what I found in the comics section!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 19:01:22 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Frank Filz writes:

Now TLC would have a hard time winning much in court if Kevin immediately
took the instructions down when asked by TLC since he can pretty clearly show
that TLC has known about his site for years, and has made no complaint

Has TLC stated that they know about Kevin's site?  It's very possible that
this was discussed previously and I simply missed it.  If they haven't made
such a statement, though, how would Kevin go about demonstrating that TLC
*did* know about his site?

I don't think that TLC legal has stated that they know about his site, but I
think people have mentioned being pointed to the site as a source for old
instructions no longer available from Consumer Affairs. I'd also find it hard
to believe that Brad Justus isn't aware of the site (and as he is responsible
for TLC's online presence, if it was perceived as a problem to TLC, I'm sure he
would be quick to let Kevin know).

To be honest, I'd like to see them offer a specific license agreement to Kevin
so that we need not worry that he is on shaky ground (and such an agreement
should also be specific about when he can put up instructions, it would be neat
to see him expressly allowed to put them up as soon as they go out of
production, or perhaps even earlier - I don't think TLC would lose much if any
revenue from the instructions being posted almost immediately, in fact, they
could realize more revenue from people looking at them and realizing how good a
parts source they were [I doubt that many of those who would likely look up the
instructions would ever decide not to buy a set after seeing the instructions,
I know I don't buy a set on speculation of what it might have, without feeling
that it does have value from what I can see of it]).

Frank