 Off-Topic / Debate / 5704
Re: Million Mom March
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2000 23:27:37 GMT

Your assertion that everyone legally should have access to all weapons seems
unworkable.  Do you suggest that my neighbor and I should be able to own
100-megaton nuclear warheads, in case the mayor gets a little too pushy?  Much
to my surprise, I find myself in agreement with Larry (twice in one week!) and
the man-carryable limitation.
Certainly we should work to enforce the existing laws before penning a dozen
volumes of new ones, but given the ease with which two local (to Pittsburgh)
lunatics were recently able to go on shooting rampages, I don't see that
unlimited weapons access would really do anyone any good.  Granted, these two
individuals were sick and therefore not representative of the vast majority of
gun owners who are sane, but it was bad enough that their legal access to
weapons allowed them to shoot about a dozen people--how much worse would it
have been if they'd been driving around in Constitutionally-guaranteed Abrams
tanks?

Well, whenever anyone trots out the "but there are loonies out there with guns
who shoot people" I trot out the example of the Texas McD massacre in which one
victim, who lost her father or brother, I forget, but who got off scot free,
said that she would go to her grave regretting that she wasn't carrying that
day, she'd left her piece home, and was certain she would have saved a lot of
lives by plugging the shooter post haste.

So I guess I'd say that as long as some sane citizens had their Abrams with
them that day we'd be fine. A little collateral damage, yes. :-) Ok a lot.
Remember, the sane outnumber the crazy by a wide margin.

But an Abrams isn't man portable, it takes a driver, a gunner AND a loader, I
think. Wait for the next generation of tank technology,  please so you need
only a driver, before you make your christmas list up. :-)

++Lar