 Off-Topic / Debate / 5697
Re: Million Mom March
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2000 20:00:52 GMT

Why should that be limited to man-portable weapons.  I disagree.  Since the
ponit of the 2nd is clearly to keep the citizens armed to the point where they
can reject the government, then all ordnance available to the government MUST
be available to the citizens.  I know that when we get touchy-feely with out
emotional side, it seems like weapons of mass destruction should be
prohibited, but I don't think that's in the spirit of the 2nd and its logic.

  When the 2nd was written, cutting-edge weapons technology took about a minute
to load a single shot.  Today, how long does anyone realistically think that
anything other than a phenomenally large group of organized, trained, private
civilians could stand against a no-holds-barred military force acting against
it?  Perhaps we should check in with Mr. Koresh to see how effective he feels
such resistance to be.
  Your assertion that everyone legally should have access to all weapons seems
unworkable.  Do you suggest that my neighbor and I should be able to own
100-megaton nuclear warheads, in case the mayor gets a little too pushy?  Much
to my surprise, I find myself in agreement with Larry (twice in one week!) and
the man-carryable limitation.
  Certainly we should work to enforce the existing laws before penning a dozen
volumes of new ones, but given the ease with which two local (to Pittsburgh)
lunatics were recently able to go on shooting rampages, I don't see that
unlimited weapons access would really do anyone any good.  Granted, these two
individuals were sick and therefore not representative of the vast majority of
gun owners who are sane, but it was bad enough that their legal access to
weapons allowed them to shoot about a dozen people--how much worse would it
have been if they'd been driving around in Constitutionally-guaranteed Abrams
tanks?

    Dave!