 Off-Topic / Debate / 5160
Re: Gay Marriages/Domestic Partnerships and the IRS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 18:12:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
I'd like to hear your opinions on gay marriage/Domestic Partnerships.
In America, where we have freedom of religion, should the church have any say
in what constitutes a marriage?

I'm not sure it should.  I know that my church wass lobbying for the anti-gay
marriage measure in California, and I'm not sure it was the best thing to do.
In this country, a church should have the right to tell its members what they
should and should not do (it's what an organized religion is *for*), but
churches should not be in the business of legislation, IMO.

I have been with my partner for more than 18 years.  Over the last year, he
has been physically unable to work.  I have not only supported him, but paid
for his medical coverage, doctors and medicine.  I have housed, fed and
clothed him.  Yet, as he is not related to me, I am unable to claim him as a
dependent nor can I claim the thousands of dollars I have spent on his medical
care as a deduction.

I'm divided on this.

On one hand, it is unfair and injust to require state-determined family ties
for tax and insurance reasons.  If I am employed and paying taxes, (I think) I
and not the government should have the right to determine who my dependents
are, as long as I provide for them.

Morality: 1, Government: 0.

On the other hand, if such a system were in place it could be ripe for abuse.
Some restrictions would have to be put in place by law -- to prevent me from,
say, providing for the Western seaboard and declaring the entire population as
a tax-deducted dependent.  The southern states tried doing this a while ago,
and what a mess it made.

Obviously, the line has been drawn.  I will defend its necessity, but I don't
like where the line *is*.

Morality: 1, Government: 1.

On the gripping hand, insuarance companies will do anything and everything to
rob you blind, and the treatment they're giving you is, unfortunately, to be
expected from them.

Morality: 1, Government: 1, Insurance Companies: 150000000 and rising.

Cheers,
- jsproat