 Off-Topic / Debate / 5138
Re: Gay Marriages/Domestic Partnerships and the IRS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 00:15:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
I'd like to hear your opinions on gay marriage/Domestic Partnerships.

In America, where we have freedom of religion, should the church have any say
in what constitutes a marriage?

Heck no!

(Then again, neither should the government, either.)

Should those in gay marriages/domestic partnerships be allowed the same
rights as married couples to claim their partner as a dependent for tax
filing purposes?

Absolutely!  (IMHO)

I have been with my partner for more than 18 years.  Over the last year, he
has been physically unable to work.  I have not only supported him, but paid
for his medical coverage, doctors and medicine.  I have housed, fed and
clothed him.  Yet, as he is not related to me, I am unable to claim him as
a dependent nor can I claim the thousands of dollars I have spent on his
medical care as a deduction.

Is there any way you could contract him to do any work for you, for some sort
of salary or rate, whereby he could technically be self-employed and pay his
own health insurance and deduct that?  Or would the FICA taxes outweigh any
gains from his being able to deduct the health insurance?

Man, the world is an unfair place.  :-(

--Todd