 Off-Topic / Debate / 5148
Re: Gay Marriages/Domestic Partnerships and the IRS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:20:07 GMT

I don't usually like to talk politics with anything but a voting booth, but:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
I'd like to hear your opinions on gay marriage/Domestic Partnerships.

S'funny you should ask.  We watch CNN all day at work, and recently California
(? I think it was CA) voted down a referendum to recognise same-sex marriages.

I was completely taken aback.  I really had fooled myself into thinking we had
moved into a more enlightened time.  I convinced myself that only "traditional"
marriages are recognised because that was something that was put in place a
long time ago, and politicians are unwilling to go out on a limb as being
pro-anything that isn't safe.  For the record, this is the same reason I am
convinced that no one is politicking for bars and liquor stores in
Massachussetts to be open Sundays (hey, you find happiness in your place, I'll
find it in mine :D).

But for it to make it onto a ballot and not pass with flying colors- especially
in someplace like CA- jst brings me back to Earth about it.  I was disappointed
in the extreme.

Perhaps the problem is that the people with the liberal attitude don't get out
and vote in large enough numbers?

In America, where we have freedom of religion, should the church have any say
in what constitutes a marriage?

No, but I don't think that is really the core of the issue.  You can get a
marriage without admitting there's a God, from a Judge or a Justice of the
Peace, so it really is just politics in the way, not any church.

Should those in gay marriages/domestic partnerships be allowed the same rights
as married couples to claim their partner as a dependent for tax filing
purposes?

As far as I'm concerned, of course.

I have been with my partner for more than 18 years.

Congratulations!  Frankly, I'm jealous.

Over the last year, he
has
been physically unable to work.  I have not only supported him, but paid for
his medical coverage, doctors and medicine.  I have housed, fed and clothed
him.  Yet, as he is not related to me, I am unable to claim him as a dependent
nor can I claim the thousands of dollars I have spent on his medical care as a
deduction.

And that, as far as I'm concerned, is a travesty- especially in a time when few
couples make it anywhere near that long, married or not.

eric